Want to know a little bit more about VPN? Although the term ‘VPN’ is a familiar word to tech guys, most of the new Windows 10 user have not a clear idea of this. Does windows 10 built in vpn exists? How to connect windows 10 with a VPN?Hey, I am not asking you! People often find those terms difficult. In this article, I will discuss those terms and more about VPN. So, let’s start!
Why We Use VPN?
Have you a clear idea of VPN? Don’t you? Okay, I am telling you. VPN means virtual private network. When you are connected to a VPN, your PC is connected to the internet via a server of that specific VPN provider. It gives you many facilities like
- It can hide your IP address. So if you are in a geographically restricted area, then you can access those specific websites. One thing you have to do is to connect your PC to a VPN network.
- You are more secure as data traveling from you and your VPN server are highly encrypted.
- It can protect you from hacker when you are connected to a free public WiFi hotspot.
But one thing, VPN is not like internet service provider. That means if you want to be connected to the internet, then you have to be connected to an internet service provider. VPN just makes your journey over the internet more secured and other extra stuff.
What is Windows 10 Built-in VPN? Is Exists or Not?
When you are to connect your pc to a VPN, you will see in VPN provider section, there is an option named ‘Windows (built-in)’. It seems windows 10 itself provides a VPN server and other stuff we need to be connected to a VPN. Is it so? Okay, I am telling you what it actually means.
- VPN service providers: When you want to connect your PC to a VPN network, the first thing you have to do is to sign up for a VPN service. There are many VPN service providers like NordVPN, IpVanish VPN, ExpressVPN. Those service providers will cost you around 5-10 $ monthly.
- When you have signed up or registered for a VPN service, your registered VPN service provider will give you server addresses list and connection names list.
- You can download your registered VPN service provider’s app and get connected to that specific VPN service.
- So, as I said before, you can see ‘Windows (built-in)’ option in VPN providers section. That means Windows 10 has a built-in VPN service. But after a while, when you scroll down a little bit, then you can see you are asked to fill up connection name and server address. Where can you find them? If you want to continue, then you have to fill up the connection name and server address given by your registered VPN service provider. So you have to register to a VPN service provider if you want to get a connection name and server address. See, Windows 10 is not giving you those stuff like connection name, server address. I hope, you have already got the point! Yes, there is no built-in VPN in windows 10.
- Though it seems windows 10 has a built-in VPN, but it has not. So why Microsoft wrote ‘Windows (built-in)’ in VPN provider option? They actually meant it’s a build in the app that allows you to be connected through your registered VPN service provider easily as you need not download service provider’s app to be connected to that VPN server.
How to Connect Windows 10 With a VPN?
If you read my previous discussion, then you have already known there is no built-in VPN in windows 10. So if you want to get connected through a VPN network, you have to register for a VPN service. Follow me, I am gonna show you the full process below.
- At first, you have to register to a VPN service provider. You can find many VPN service providers. Many of them are free and you will find many paid as well. TunnelBear, Hide.me, ProtonVPN, GOOSE VPN, Windscribe are some free VPN service providers and NordVPN, IpVanish VPN, ExpressVPN are some paid VPN service providers. You can find much more paid and free VPN service providers if you want.
- Go to your preferred VPN service provider’s official website and sign up. Then you are given a list of server addresses and connection names.
- Go to Settings → Network & Internet.
- Click on ‘VPN’ and then click on ‘Add a VPN connection.’
- Now you have to fill up every field with correct values.’
→ VPN provider: Select windows(built in).
→ Connection name: Insert any desired name or your VPN providers name.
→ Server name or address: When you have registered with a VPN service provider, they will give you a list of server addresses. Choose your preferred one.
→ VPN type: You can find this information from your registered VPN service provider.
→ Type of sign-in info: Select Username and password
→ Username: Insert your registered username.
→ Password: Insert your registered password.
You can check the option ‘Remember my sign-in info’ if you want your sign in info to be remembered later.
Fill up all those fields correctly and click Save.
- If you have completed previous steps successfully, then you have successfully created a VPN connection. Now go to VPN from settings. You can see your created VPN connection. Click on it and click connect. You will be connected within a few moments.
- If you want to make any change in your created VPN connection, Then
→ Click on that connection and click properties. Click edit if you want to change anything.
→ Or click on that connection and click remove. Now you can add your desired connection again as you want.
Problems You Can Face if You are Connected to a VPN Network
Though VPN gives you better security and many more advantages while you are traveling through the internet, there are some disadvantages of using it as well. Now I am gonna explain you some cases where VPN can cause you trouble.
- If you want to update your Windows 10 while you are connected to a VPN network, the process may fail. So it’s better not to be connected to a VPN when you are updating your windows.
- When you are connected to a VPN, you can get an attack like IP spoofing. Though there is a little possibility that someone is using the same IP address then you at the same time, it can happen.
- Your IP address may be blacklisted because of another user’s activity under your VPN service provider. Because when you are connected to a VPN service, you are hiding your IP address and using an IP address of another user. So there’s a chance someone else is using your IP address and doing something illegal. It’s not a problem when you are connected to a VPN, but when you are not connected to a VPN once and then stop using VPN, then you may face problem for this like no access to a specific website.
- When you are connected to a VPN, all your apps on your PC will be connected to that VPN. Problems occur when many more users in a server of that VPN provider execute the same app. So if you are facing trouble using any app while connected to a VPN service, you should better disconnect your VPN for a while and then try to use that app.
- When you are connected to a VPN, all your data is encrypted when they are traveling from your PC to VPN provider’s server. Seems good, huh? It’s really good, but it can cause you trouble. They are encrypting your data, that means you are allowing them(your VPN provider) to access your data. So, when you are to use a VPN, make sure it’s a top-rated VPN service provider.
What is VPN Client?
A VPN client refers to a software that is used to get connected to a VPN provider or simply a VPN. If you are reading this article sequentially, then you have known that how we connect windows 10 to a VPN network. Similarly, VPN client is a software that is used by the end-user to get connected to the desired VPN network.
Many operating systems have their own VPN client or VPN software to get connected to a VPN.
You can use third-party VPN clients that allow you to be connected to a VPN network. These third-party VPN clients have some extra features and they are designed to be more user-friendly.
When you have registered with a VPN service provider, they will normally offer you their own VPN client to get you connected to their server as well as VPN. Moreover, you will find many more VPN clients to be connected to a VPN network.
OpenVPN, SoftEther are some examples of third-party VPN clients developed by VPN protocol developer that allows you to get connected to a VPN network.
If you don’t know about Cisco VPN client then we covered that issue for you – Installing and troubleshooting Cisco VPN client.
Is It Necessary a VPN Client In Windows 10?
We usually use VPN client to connect our device to a VPN network. So is it mandatory to use a VPN client to be connected to a VPN network in windows 10?
In many operating systems, there are pre-installed VPN clients that allow users to get connected to a VPN network. In Windows 10, you can get connected to a VPN network by their built-in VPN client.
So it is not necessary to use a VPN client in windows 10. But many third-party VPN clients or VPN software will give you some extra advantages.
By windows 10 built-in VPN client, it is easier to get connected to a VPN network. So you won’t face any trouble if you don’t want to use any third party VPN client.
Let’s see some features of third-party VPN clients →
- When you will use a third party VPN client to get connected to a VPN network they may offer you the chance to select a preferred country to find the closest server.
- You may have the option to make inter-protocol switching.
- You may have the option to choose your preferred VPN protocol.
- These VPN clients can connect you automatically if you want.
- You will find some other features like App killer, server lists etc.
So, as I said before, it is not mandatory to use a third party VPN client in windows 10 to get connected to a VPN network, but see, those third-party VPN clients have some awesome features!
Do you want to know more about Windows 10 built in VPN? Say no! If you have gone through this article, you should have a clear idea of VPN. I think this is enough for you to get started. So, if you want to get you connected to a VPN network, you can start now. Find a trusted and top-rated VPN service provider and get connected!