The Internet is a great way to communicate with others. Now, in today’s world, we all are very much dependent on the internet for various purposes. We use mobile data and Wi-Fi to use the internet on our devices. We have to pay for the internet we use in Mbps. From the source we get the internet, which provides us a certain amount of internet against a certain bill. But sometimes, the speed of the net that we get slows down than we are supposed to get. That’s why here we’ll talk about how to boost your internet speed.
The speed of the internet sometimes troubles us, becomes slow, and there occurs buffering and takes time in loading. Then, it becomes hard to work properly with such a slow speed of the internet. So, we all want a good speed on our internet. For boosting up the internet speed, there are very methods available. You can try these methods to boost internet speed.
How to Boost Your Internet Speed
There are several methods by which anyone can boost internet speed. The methods are given below:
- Boost internet speed with general fixes
Some common problems cause slow internet speed on your devices. These problems can be solved by such quick general fixes.
- First, you have to check the provided internet speed. When you use the broadband connection on your devices, you pay for a certain amount of Mbps either for uploading or downloading. You have to check the actual speed that provides the broadband company and then, compare it with the speed you get. Sometimes, the inter-service providers advertise the speed up to a number not declaring the highest speed. If the speed on your device is far away from the provided speed, then call the provider to fix the problem.
- You have to check the internet speed of all the internet providers in your area. You have to aware of the terms between megabits and megabytes. 1 megabyte comes with 8 megabits. The internet providers advertise the speed with megabits and the actual transfer speed will be in megabytes. So, you have to check the speed whether it is in megabits or megabytes.
- Sometimes, you may get slow internet speed if you are far away from the router. You have to be close as possible to the router to get the maximum speed of the internet. If your device and the router are separated by a wall or something then, it may be hard sometimes to get the frequent speed of the internet. You have to also make sure that your device and the router have plenty of room. Otherwise, it may cause overheating.
- You have to place your device and the router in a line of sight. If the signal has to travel through an appliance, the signal will be weakened. So, you have to be a place where the router is visible. If you and the router are on different floors, you may not be able to receive the signal.
- You have to minimize the number of devices connected to the same network. The Wi-Fi network can handle certain traffic. But if the number of devices exceeds then, the speed of the network will slow down. You can also unplug other devices like smart TVs, extra computers, and video games even if they are turned off to get better internet speed.
- You have to use Ethernet instead of Wi-Fi. If you plug the computer directly into the router with an Ethernet cable, you can get a faster speed of the internet. In a Mac computer, you have to use an Ethernet to USB-C adapter to connect the Mac with the router. But this service isn’t available on mobile platforms.
- Boost internet speed with hardware fixes
You can fix your hardware that can boost up the speed of the internet. The ways of fixing the hardware are given below:
- You have to check the hardware you use. Sometimes, routers, modems, smartphones, tablets, and such devices may get exceptionally older and cause the low speed of the internet. If you use one device for several years, it is common to encounter some internet problems. This problem also arises if you install a new operating system for an old device. The best solution to this problem is to change the device. If a modem or router has been used for more than three years, it should be upgraded to the latest model.
- You can unplug your router and modem for a while to fix the problem. If you do so, the router or modem will clear out its internal cache and start from scratch. This method is known as “power-cycling”. Again, if you restart your router, it will allow you to re-select the least busy Wi-Fi channel. You can program the router to restart from the settings page.
- You may boost the internet speed by upgrading your router’s firmware. If the router firmware is out-of-date, then it may not be able to maintain a consistent connection. You have to check the router manually to verify the process. For this, you can go to the settings page and click on the Update or Install Firmware button.
- You have to reposition the router. Damping appliances play a vital role in providing speed to your devices. If there are several appliances like microwaves, refrigerators, baby monitors, etc, then your internet speed will slow down even if you work in a sight area of your router. So, to prevent this problem, you have to place your router in a high position.
- You can restart any internet-connected items. First, you have to turn off and then turn on the devices and restart the internet connection on your devices. This method works quite well in boosting internet speed. When you haven’t turned off any device for several days, this method can be a great solution.
- You have to use a Wi-Fi range extender. The Wi-Fi range extender is a small item that receives the signal from your router and amplifies it. For this, you will able to connect devices with the internet, from where it was hard to get the internet. You can make this tool easily with a spare aluminum can. You have to verify the range extender with your router model before buying it.
- If all the methods fail to boost the speed, you can buy a new router to increase the internet speed. After using a router or modem for some years, it may not able to provide a fast internet speed. For this, buying a new one can be a better solution.
- Boost internet speed with software fixes
You can try some software fixing to boost your internet speed. There are some methods of software fixing.
- You have to update your device drivers. You should have to update your devices like computers, tablets, mobiles with the latest operating system. If the software of these devices is up-to-date, the internet speed may slow down.
- You can run an antivirus scan on your device. The internet speed of your device can slow down because of some malware or virus. These viruses interfere with the ability to access the internet on your device. It can boost up the speed of the internet if you run an antivirus scan on your device once per week.
- You can update the internet browser. If you use an out-of-date internet browser, it will perform slowly in webpage loading, choppy video, and many other internet issues.
- You have to clear your cached files from your browser. The browser’s cache may trouble the internet speed. The cached data helps the websites to load faster. But sometimes it becomes the reason for errors and connection issues.
- If you want to boost the speed of the internet, removing toolbars from the browser can be a great way. You can remove all the toolbars from your browser.
- You can use any browser you want. But Google chrome or Firefox are comparatively faster than any other browsers. These browsers are available on all devices and can boost up the internet speed.
- You can use a VPN to increase internet speed. This VPN helps you to avoid ISP restrictions by using external servers. This process will prevent your ISP from slowing down your network.
- Boost internet speed on Windows:
On Windows, you can change the DNS settings to boost the internet connection of your computer. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to open Start from the bottom of the right side of your computer.
- Then, you have to open the Control Panel. For this, you have to type the control panel in the search engine.
- Next, you have to switch the view mode to large icons. You have to right-click View by from the right corner of the page and click Large icons from the drop-down menu.
- From the control panel, you have to click the Network and Sharing Center.
- You have to click Change adapter settings.
- Now, you have to open the properties of the connection. You have to click the Wi-Fi connection and then, click the Change setting of this connection.
- From the middle of the Properties Window, you have to click Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4).
- Next, you have to click properties.
- From the pop-up window, you have to click the Use the following DNS server box.
- You have to enter a new DNS address in each of the boxes.
- Then, you have to click Ok.
- Finally, you have to click Close.
Internet speed becomes slow for various reasons. It can be a hardware problem or a software problem. The speed can also trouble for some general issues. If the hardware you use or the software of your devices gets older, it can cause an internet speed problem.