A windows user is a privileged user. This always has been standing correct and in terms of the number of options the users are given to maintain their settings, it establishes the statement even further. For the network as well, Windows 10 gives the user a privilege to select the kind of network that they would want to keep for themselves.
As web technology is evolving, cyber-attacks are becoming a common thing. So, you should have some knowledge about various types of cyber attacks.
When it comes to network selection, there are two common types of networks that people generally rely on. The first one is a private network type and the second one is a public network type. Before you decide on which network type would you like to keep and if required how you can change from the public to private network type on Windows 10, and it is important to understand the difference between the two of them.
The first understanding is going to be of what a public network type is all about. If you are looking forward to not connect with any network device or when you have a certain network incorporating only one computer, then the public network is the ideal setup for you to think about. When you buy a Windows 10 laptop or computer, the default setting is done with a public network type on it. This protects your device from connecting to any other network device until and unless you are willing to do so. When your network type is public, the Windows firewall is a customer ID to use all the rules that a public network type will be applicable for. This makes the computer work in a very boundary oriented restricted manner. Here, interesting apps that we are all used to will be blocked from connecting to the internet and there are many other features that will be disabled along with that. Are you wondering what kind of features would be disabled? We are using file sharing and printer networks very often for our daily usage and with the public network setup, this would be disabled. Further, the network sharing setup that enables the computer or laptop to catch available Wi-Fi as soon as we switch it on will also not be there.
Now let us understand how this scenario changes when we move on to choose a private network setup on our Windows 10. This network is only selected when we trust the network that we are planning to connect to. Are the name trusts comes forward, it is very obvious that we tend to choose this setup only when we are planning to use it for our home and office network types. Here we get all the disabled methods in the public network type enabled. Thus now we can share of the file is well easily. We can connect to various networks automatically when we switch on our computers. We can also connect to our printer network along with many more benefits that come along with the security of a home or office or any other trusted network.
If you have understood how the public network type and the private network type differs and how Windows 10 settings are updated based on the kind of network type that you choose. You must be planning to shift from a public network type which is the default network type to a private network type on a Windows 10 laptop or computer. At this point, we are there to help you facilitate this entire idea.
Network type from Public to Private in Windows 10 via the HomeGroup in the Control Panel: –
- Once you switch on your computer, the first task is to go on the Control Panel. In the control panel, you will find an option of Network and Internet. In this, you need to find a HomeGroup option.
- If you think that this has been a difficult task for you to do, just type in HomeGroup on your search panel and click on the one that has the directed tab towards the control panel Home Group.
- Here you will find an option, of Change Network Location. This once clicked will direct you to a dialog box that will question whether you want your PC ye to be discoverable by other pieces and devices on this network. It will also have a disclaimer where it is being advised to you that you should be allowing this only when you are at home and work networks, but not in the public area.
- If you are sure that it is a safe network that you are going to get in use, then you should be clicking a yes for the question and then your public network will change to a private network.
- Once done, if you wish to make sure that the network settings have been changed, just tap into the Network and Sharing Center in the control panel and you will get a particular icon stating that your network is private.
Changing the network type that you are using from the public to private in titles computer to be sharing various files as well as printer and other network data. It is extremely important that you are very sure about the security of the network that you would want your laptop or computer to access. Once your setting has been changed to private and a particular network has been connected with your device, it can be damaging to the system if the source was not trustworthy. People generally use the private network type at their home or work or at any other well-trusted area.
With this very simple system, you are now well versed with a simple way of how you can change your network setting type from public to private in Windows 10 with much ease. Click here how to do it and you will be sorted with your network type as soon as you start using your Windows 10 device. This was the simplest of all the methods after all!