Knowing your Windows version is very important although some of us are careless about the matter. The software and even some hardware are made for a specific version of windows; you just cannot run them in any version. Suppose, you wish to buy an original game from the market or online and you don’t know for which version of windows the game can actually be run, or you don’t know your laptop’s screen resolution will be sufficient enough or not. If you buy the game without knowing the compatibility of it with your windows and then find out that the game was not built for your version of windows, then I must say you would completely waste your money. That’s why you must know how the version of windows can be checked. Don’t worry, you can check it very easily, just read the article thoroughly and know how to check Windows version.
How to Check Windows Version?
There are actually several methods you can check the Windows version with. Microsoft, the tech giant has put the version name at several locations of the Windows. You can find it on Control Panel, Settings, File Explorer, and Run Command, etc. Today, I will discuss the 5 most common methods used to check the Windows version; follow step by step. Though there are several versions of Windows, they always support the compatibility mode. I am using Windows 10; hence I have shown the procedures for this version. In case you have a different version, don’t worry because the steps are almost unanimous irrespective of the version. Turning on/ off Sticky keys in Windows PC is very easy if you follow this article.
Method 1: from Run Command Box
1. Click on the Windows icon that you will find on the below-left of the screen; there find out the search box and type run. The tool will appear, click on it. In another way, you can also find out the run command. Hold the windows and R keys together.
2. Type ‘winver’ on the run box, then hit OK or enter button.
3. You will see the Windows version name. I have the windows 10 version, that’s why the following figure shows the name. If you have a different version installed on the computer, then it will show that name. Click on OK to exit.
Method 2: from Control Panel
1. Again go to the windows search box and type control panel (writing a few letters will be enough for windows to understand what you are searching for), click on it.
2. On control panel, you will see ‘System and Security’, click on it.
3. Then find the ‘Security’ option and go there.
Method 3: from Command Prompt
1. Go to the Windows search box and type ‘command prompt’, hit it. You can also hold the windows and pause keys together to go to the command prompt box.
2. On the command prompt box, type ‘cmd’ and then hit enter. Again type ‘ver’ and hit enter. You will find the version of windows in the next line.
Method 4: from Settings
1. Click on the Windows icon left below to your PC. Look for a gear icon which is a pathway to the settings option.
2. You will see several options on the settings menu. Go to the ‘System’ option which is on the top of other options.
3. Scroll down on the system menu and look for the ‘About’ option; it’s probably the last one from the list of other options on the system menu.
4. There you will be able to see the name of the edition and version along with the date of the installation.
Method 5: from Computer/This PC/File Explorer
1. Go to the windows search bar and search for ‘computer’. On Windows 10, the ‘Computer’ (on windows 7) has been changed to ‘This PC’ which was known as ‘My Computer’ on older versions of the windows. These are the same things whatever the name may be given to. File Explorer or more commonly Library is also the same phenomenon as the previous ones which can be found out very easily on the below of your computer screen. Once you find out either option, just click on it.
2. Then find out the ‘Properties’ command which should be on the top-left of the screen. Hit it.
3. Here you will see the full description of the system. You can easily find out the version of Windows from this section. You can also find whether your Windows is activated or not.
All the methods of how to check out the Windows version are very easy and you should be able to find your Windows version too especially after reading this article. We always suggest you install the latest version to get the best security from viruses, malware, ransomware, etc attacks, and the latest options and user interface. Just follow any of the five methods we have mentioned and understand a bit more about your computer.