A text file is a type of file that contains text or your important note on your PC or phone. It generally does not contain any special format like bold, Italian, or any other formats like pictures, special shapes, etc. Just a standard format is followed by a text file. We find text files in Windows PC with .txt extension. It is stored as data on your PC. It is generally used as a queue of many lines. You can encrypt this file. But how to encrypt text files in Windows and Mac
The text file is generally is a storage of information in your computer system. We keep any important things in our text file. In-office, there are also many uses of text files. Many valuable data which cannot be enclosed to anyone are kept as a text file. Sometimes, when text files are sent over the internet they can be sent or given to any people. They are not supposed to see that. So to keep others away from valuable text files, we should keep them safe.
Keeping safe anything requires some methods. To keep safe the text files, encryption or encrypting the data is the best way. It prevents any kind of interference in data and also denies get access to the files. This method needs a specific key to open the file. The keys are specified by the file owner. The particular ones can know the key and can get access to the text file.
Encrypt Text Files in Windows
In Microsoft’s Windows, there are several methods to encrypt text methods. You can choose one according to your preference. How to encrypt text files in Windows and Mac? The methods are described below.
1. Encrypt text Files with EFS
The encryption tool which can be used by all Windows 10 users is EFS. It is a default tool that can be found on the computer. The text files which are located in notepad can be encrypted by EFS. The steps to encrypt files with EFS are
- First, you have to right-click on the notepad text file you want to encrypt.
- You have to select Properties from the menu which is showed beside the file.
- Then you have to click on Advanced from the General tab.
- A box will appear. From it, you have to put a tick on Encrypt Security Data and click OK.
- A pop up will be shown. You have to select Encrypt the file only from it.
The task is completed. You can decrypt the file by a very similar process just like you decrypt a pdf file, etc. You just have to remove the tick you gave before and follow the previous steps.
2. Encrypt Text Files With Lock My Folder
Lock my folder application is perfect for reading and modifying your text file easily. This application is helpful for editing text files. The files are useful for users. To use this, first, you have to download and install this on your PC. The steps to encrypt text files are
- You have to first click on the application. If you want an auto encryption folder, you have to click on add in the box that will be appeared.
- Also, you have to type the file name and location folder where you want to keep the encrypted text files. Then click OK. For this, when you keep any text file in the folder the file will be automatically encrypted.
- You can also lock the folder to avoid anyone entering it.
- For this, you have to right-click on the folder and select Lock my folder.
- Then a drop-down menu will appear in which you have to type password and click Ok.
Thus your encryption of text files with folder will be completed.
3. Encrypt Text File With 7-Zip.
If you have text files in a zip file, you can use the 7-zip application to encrypt text files. Your whole zip file can be encrypted with this. For this, you have to download and install 7-zip on your PC. The application is free. So you can easily download it. The steps are
- First, you have to right-click on the text file you want to encrypt.
- Then you have to select 7-zip and then select Add to archive.
- A box will appear. In which, you have to select Archive format to zip and type the password and click Ok.
- Your encrypted text file in a zip is created after this.
Encrypt Text Files in Mac
In Apple’s Mac, the text files are also offered in default. You can also encrypt text files in this. For this, you have to follow the methods. The methods are described below.
1. Encrypt Text Files Using Disk Utility
- You have to click on Finder to Applications to Utility Folders.
- You have to select Disk Utility.
- Then you have to select the file menu from the top of the screen. You have to select the New to Disk image from the folder.
- You have to select the folder you have to encrypt and then click Image.
- Then you have to select the encryption method and click on Save.
- You have to enter the password and click Ok.
Thus your file is encrypted. You have to type a password when you want to open the file.
2. Encrypt File Using File Vault
You can also encrypt your entire drive by file vault. Thus your text files can also be encrypted. The steps are
- First, you have to choose the Apple menu and then select System Preferences.
- Then you have to click on Security & Privacy.
- You have to select the File Vault option.
- From them, you have to select the lock icon and type the user name and password.
- Then you have to select Turn on File Vault box.
Thus your text files can be safe.
The notepad or text files contain important information sometimes. So encryption of the files and backing up the important ones can keep the files safe from anyone. The methods described here are all the easy methods. You can easily choose one of them to encrypt your valuable text files. If you are interested, you can also know about encoding and transcoding and all about them in an easy way. Now, you know all about how to encrypt text files in Windows and Mac