The motherboard is generally called the heart of your PC. It is considered the most important component in your PC. Almost all other components are connected with each other through the motherboard. So, if it gets damaged, your PC won’t be able to perform any task. Your PC’s motherboard can be damaged for many reasons. So, it is important for you to know about the motherboard damage symptoms so that you can avoid further problems.
What is a Motherboard?
A motherboard is known as the mainboard, system board or baseboard. It is found in computers and other digital systems. It is also called the mother of a system. In your computer, all other components like Ram, processor, Hard Drive, power supply etcetera are connected to the motherboard. Through this component, all other components of a computer communicate with each other as they are connected to the motherboard.
The power supply of a computer is connected to the motherboard. The motherboard gives necessary power to other components. That means the motherboard acts as a heart like a heart in a living body. So, the motherboard can be damaged for many reasons. If it gets damaged, it generates some symptoms. You’ll know all about these in this article.
Causes of Damaging a Motherboard
Most of the time your motherboard gets damaged without making your concern at all. Generally, you damage your motherboard without being concerned. So, you should take some general precautions to get rid of damaging the motherboard of your computer. The motherboard can be damaged for many reasons. Among them, some common reasons are given below. The motherboard can be damaged by –
- Bad power supply
- Short circuits
- Bad CPU
- Bad video card
- Bad Ram
- Bad Hard Drive
Motherboard Damage Symptoms
If your computer’s motherboard is damaged, you will encounter a lot of issues. A faulty motherboard will not let you use your computer at all. Some symptoms will be found because of the damaged motherboard.
- Randomly Reboot: This is one of the most common problems generated by a faulty motherboard. But your computer may encounter this problem for virus or a faulty hard drive. So, you should check that virus and hard drive are not causing the problem. After checking this, if your computer still causing the same problem, it is an indication of a damaged motherboard.
- Getting beep code:
If your computer is not booting at all, you now have to listen to your computer when the computer is turned on. A pattern of beeps will be heard as an indication of a damaged hardware. A beep sound followed by three, four, or five is a symptom of a damaged motherboard. Or you may get four beeps followed by two, three or four beeps as an indication that there are some serial or parallel port issues. This indicates a damaged motherboard.
- Error messages: If your motherboard is damaged, your computer may randomly crash and cause general protection fault error messages or fatal exceptions etcetera.
- Blue Screen of death:
Your computer may show a blue screen for many reasons. But generally, if there is an issue with the hardware, a blue screen is seen. If you encounter this problem, you should troubleshoot this problem by searching the error code. You can do this on Google or Microsoft’s site. If you still face the same problem after troubleshooting, it indicates that there is an issue with the motherboard.
- Burning Smell: If there is a burning smell from your computer, you should at once turn off your PC. Burning smell can be occurred for overheating of a component or an incompatible component. You know that others components (RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU etc) are connected to the motherboard with their specific socket types. If an incompatible component is connected to the motherboard, there may occur short circuit problem. Thus, the motherboard can be burnt and a burning smell will be smelt.
- Visual Check:
It is the first thing you need to do. A common cause of failure of the motherboard is bulged or blown capacitors. So, you have to check each of the capacitors. If any of the capacitors are bulging or leaking then your motherboard is damaged. Replacing of a bulging or blown capacitor is possible under some conditions. But this requires precision soldering. If you don’t find any damages, you have to use software utility or hardware diagnostic tools.
- Using software and other hardware diagnostic tools: Some examples of software and diagnostic tools are given below:
- Hot CPU Tester: This software is great for testing your computer motherboard. It is easy to use. It is also included with a burn-in feature for a new
- PC-Doctor: This is a great hardware diagnostic tool including the motherboard. But it is not cheap. Sometimes, it is used by service centers and other technicians to diagnose hardware.
- Ultra-X: This is a hardware diagnostic tool. This tool is able to check your motherboard whether it is damaged or not.
Check Connections and Peripherals before Checking the Motherboard
If you encounter some issues, don’t think that your motherboard is damaged. You can face these issues if your other PC components get damaged. You can check for several things to find out that your motherboard is damaged or is not in good condition.
Check the power cord whether it is loose or not. If it is loose, it would cause frequent shutdowns. Loose peripheral connectors can cause many problems. Make sure that they are perfectly fitted. Your computer may encounter booting problem for an external hard drive, or flash drive, or bootable CD. Remove CD or DVD from the optical drive, remove thumb drives that are connected via USB, disconnect external devices including printers and scanners. Now restart your computer. If the problem is solved, you can adjust the boot order in your BIOS settings so that, the computer doesn’t boot from these devices. But how to reset the BIOS? To find the answer, refer to your computer’s operating manual or manufacturer’s website.
If you are not familiar with a computer’s insides, you shouldn’t attempt to fix it. Because you may cause more damages to the motherboard and other components of your computer. If you attempt to change any system settings, write down the current settings first. It will help you to return to the previous settings if the changes don’t help. You should check your computer’s warranty condition. Many company’s warranties become void once a computer is opened.
1. Can a damaged motherboard be repaired?
Ans: It depends on the condition of the motherboard. If there is a problem with some capacitors or socket, it may be repaired. But damaged board often cannot be repaired.
2. Can other components damage motherboard?
Ans: Yes. All other components are connected to the motherboard. If the connection between them is loose, there may occur short circuits. So, the motherboard gets damaged.
3. What components damage motherboard?
Ans: All other components such as RAM, CPU, GPU, PSU etcetera can cause harm to your motherboard. Faulty components often cause short circuits and damage motherboard.
4. My computer isn’t booting perfectly. Does this indicate a faulty motherboard?
Ans: No. There may be a virus problem or hard drive problem. Check your connections and virus and hard drive before checking the motherboard.
5. I am hearing beep code when the PC is turned on. Does this indicate a faulty motherboard?
Ans: A pattern of beeps is heard as an indication of a damaged hardware. A beep sound followed by three, four, or five is a symptom of a damaged motherboard. Or you may get four beeps followed by two, three or four beeps as an indication that there are some serial or parallel port issues. This indicates a damaged motherboard.
6. My PC is showing a blue screen and some writings on it. Does this indicate a faulty motherboard?
Ans: Blue screen is shown if there is a problem with the hardware. You should troubleshoot the problem by searching the error code.
All other components like Ram, CPU, PSU, GPU etcetera are connected to the motherboard. So, if there is a problem with the motherboard, your PC won’t work at all. A simple problem on the motherboard will show you some specific symptoms. But if you encounter some problems, first, check for other things before checking the motherboard. This article has given all the possible symptoms that can be found on the damaged motherboard. We hope, now you know all about motherboard damage symptoms.