Now that you have finally found out the treasured book of your favorite writer on the internet after a long search, you must be extremely eager to check out the book for the first time. But when you are ready to ultimately read the book, the file is completely whited out and inaccessible. The eBook is in EPUB format and your device has nothing to launch it. So, you have to find ways to open EPUB files on any device.
We thoroughly understand this hassled situation for a Bookworm like you. Stick with us to see how to open EPUB files no matter what type of device you are using. This will greatly enhance your book reading opportunity as the majority of the eBooks are now available in EPUB format. Let’s go ahead.
What is an EPUB File?
EPUB is the acronym of Electronic Publication. An EPUB file is a format of eBook which is accompanied by a file extension of EPUB (.epub). This format was published by International Digital Publishing Forum. The latest versions of HTML, SVG, and CSS is supported in EPUB format.
It is a popular file format used to store contents like images with GIF, JPG, PNG, SVG extensions, words, tables, fonts, etc. and publish them in a reflowable fashion. As they can format contents about 3.5 inches small, they are said to be layout agnostic.
From small-screen cell phones to large-screen monitor, the contents are reflowed to make the maximum use of screen if only the line width is adapted. It is a very well-known digital book format that is sold by many sources except amazon. The latest version of EPUB is EPUB 3.2.
How to open EPUB Files on Windows or Mac
You can view EPUB files using EPUB reader software on Windows or Mac. If your PC doesn’t have an EPUB reader then the EPUB file will look whited out and if you try to open, it will ask you for permission to look for suitable applications on the store.
Icecream, Calibre, Cover, Nook, and Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) are our top 5 recommendations of EPUB readers. Now let’s see how to view the EPUB files on your desktop or laptop. For instance, we will be focusing on opening an EPUB file using the Adobe Digital Editions reader.
- Go to the download page of Adobe Digital Editions.
You will find two options for downloading the software there: one for Mac users and one for Windows users. As our Operating system is windows, let’s choose the second one and start downloading.
- Once it is downloaded, you have to open it. After opening the software, it will pop up a window asking if you agree with their terms and conditions. Accept and go ahead by clicking on next.
- Now another window will show up with four available options. Make sure to choose the first one and the rest of the three is optional. You can select any of that if you want and go ahead.
- Now choose a destination folder and start installing the downloaded software. once it’s done, close the window and launch it.
- Now, go to “Add to Library” from the “File” on the bottom left and select the EPUB file to open it. We have saved the file on desktop for convenience. You will see the EPUB file has the Adobe digital editions icon next to it which means it is accessible now.
You can also separately open the file by going to the location of the file. Then you can open it by double-clicking on the file or simply dragging the file on the ADE window.
How to Open EPUB Files on Android
In the case of android, you also need an EPUB reader application. Lithium, Moon+Reader, ReadEra, Aldiko, FullReader are some commonly used EPUB reader apps for android. We will show you the process of opening the EPUB file using the Lithium app.
- First, you have to find out the Lithium EPUB reader app from the Play store. Then start downloading the application.
Alternatively, you can download it from any browser app.
- To install it, you have to enable installing apps from unknown resources for a while and once you are done you can disable it again.
Then start installing the app and allow it to access the files of your phone or tablet.
- Then open the app and refresh the library. You will find out the EPUB files in the library and now you can open it.
How to open EPUB files as PDF
Kindle doesn’t support EPUB format directly. So, alternatively, you can try opening the file by converting it into a PDF and open it on Amazon Kindle or any other platforms. But this is not applicable for DRM protected eBooks. Let’s see how you can easily convert the EPUB file to PDF.
- To convert the file first go to the EPUB converter website. Once the page is loaded you will see some conversion options on the left. Select the EPUB to PDF converter option.
- Then browse the EPUB file from your PC and select it to upload. After that select “start now” and it will start the conversion process. This will take a while.
- Once the conversion is completed, there will be a download link given for the converted new PDF file. Then save the file by choosing the destination. Now that you have downloaded the PDF file you are ready to go and view it in a PDF viewer.
EPUB files are easily readable on any device using suitable software and applications. In this article, we tried to provide detailed and step by step process of how to open EPUB files on Windows, Mac, Android, or any other platforms. Hopefully, this will effectively help you to read eBooks in EPUB format anytime anywhere.