We open files on our computers to read, write, and for making changes in files. But sometimes it becomes so difficult to just open the files. If there are .jar/.exe/.apk/.epub after the names of the files, then it becomes difficult to open such files. These files are of special categories. It is very common to see errors while opening these files. These files are hard to open because of the security settings in the Windows operating systems. In this article, we’ll briefly discuss how to open JAR files, .apk, .exe, and .epub files.
There are some ways to open JAR files and other types by converting them into ordinary files. You can do it by changing the default app or installing some software that helps you to convert these files into general files with a programmable processor. And you can just open these files by double-clicking on them.
What Is a JAR File
‘JAR’ stands for Java ARchive. So, it is an archive file of java. The archive file is that which is a single file but contains other files. It is mainly a package file where several files can be stored. It is a file format that is a collection of some java class files. It associates metadata and resources into one file for distribution.
The jar file is built upon the ZIP format and it typically defines as .jar. ZIP files and .jar files are quite the same. The main difference is JAR files are applications designed which are used by the java runtime environment. The specialty of the JAR files is that it contains manifest. It is a unique meta file that tells the JAR about the behavior of the internal files and how to hold the information about them.
How to Open JAR Files on Windows 10
Sometimes a common problem is faced while opening a .jar file with java.exe. you may right-click the executable .jar and a command prompt will open the file for a split second and will immediately close it. The methods of opening a .jar file are given below:
- As it is an archive file of java, you have to first install “Java Runtime Environment”. If it is already on your computer, you have to check if it is the latest version or not. For the latest version, you may find it on the official site.
- You have to navigate the java installation folder.
- From the folder, you have to right-click to java.exe and have to set it as “Run As Administrator”.
- You have to press Windows + X keys and select command prompt and Powershell and type cmd.
- Finally, you have to type a command “java -jar sample.jar”. but here, you have to replace the “sample.jar” with the full file path of the JAR.
There is another method. You can download a lightweight utility called “Jarx”. It helps to make the jar files like other ordinary programs. Once the “Jarx” is installed, you can open any .jar files by just double-clicking it.
What is an APK File
Apk file stands for the android package file. The android APKs are mainly that type of file that helps the user to install apps on the computer or android without downloading from the play store, by sideloading them. Some files are by default in your devices and they are pre-installed. But those apps that you download from other websites must be installed manually. If you download the apps from google play, then it will be automatically installed.
The syntax of .apk files in android is” Filename.apk” and in windows, it is “Filename.exe”. these .apk files contain all the files including the app installer. You won’t see the .apk files if you install them from the play store. Many websites offer direct .apk files download but you should be careful in trusting the source.
How to Open APK Files on Windows 10
There are three methods of opening a .apk file in windows 10. The methods are given below:
Method 1: Opening apk files with android SDK
- First, you have to download the studio package to your computer and extract it to the C drive of your computer.
- Then, you may navigate the control panel, system, and advanced system settings.
- After that, you have to click the Environment Variables and highlight the path.
- Finally, you have to select the edit option and put the below command in the variable value.
Method 2: Opening apk files by setting up of BlueStacks.
- You have to download the BlueStack and install it on your computer.
- Then, you have to log in with your Google account for the setup of your profile.
Method 3: Opening apk files with ARC Welder.
- You have to download the ARC Welder extension.
- Now, you can download any apk file just pointing ARC Welder to them.
If you don’t want to download any extra app for opening apk files on windows, it will be very helpful for you to use the ARC Welder extension to open apk files.
What Is an EXE File
A .exe file means file extension for an executive file format. An executive file is such a file that contains a program. The program is a particular kind of file which is capable of being executed or run as a program on the computer.
How to Open EXE Files on Windows 10
There are several methods to open a .exe file on windows 10. The methods are given below:
Method 1: Opening .exe files by changing registry.
- First, you have to press the Windows key + X to open the menu and select the command prompt (admin) from the menu.
- Once command prompt starts, you have to enter regedit and press “Enter”.
- When the registry editor will open, go to “HKEY_ CLASSES_ROOT.exe” which is on the left pane.
- Then, select default in the right pane.
- You have to double click in it and set the value data to “%1”%*.
- Finally, restart the computer to complete the operation.
Method 2: Opening .exe files by changing the location of the program files folder to default.
- You have to start “Registry Editor” by clicking Windows +R and entering Regedit.
- Then, you have to press “Enter” and click Ok.
- When you come into registry editor, go to the key below:
- You can see several entries in the right pane.
- You have to click on the ProgramFilesDir and change the value to the C: Program Files.
- Finally, restart your computer by closing the Registry editor.
What Is an EPUB File
The epub file is an e-book file format. It uses the “.epub” file extension. The epub is mainly the short form of electronic publication. It is sometimes styled by ePub. The international digital publishing forum (IDPF) has published EPUB as a technical standard. Many e-readers and compatible software support epub.
How to Open EPUB Files on Windows 10
Opening epub files on windows 10 are not so difficult. The Edge is the default program that is used for launching epub files. It can be easily set the edge as the default program to open epub files on windows 10. The methods are given below:
- First, you have to right-click the start button on the left side below.
- Then, you have to click settings.
- Once you are there, you have to click apps.
- You have to click default apps then.
- After that, you have to scroll down and click choose default apps by file type on the left side.
- You have to click the app next to .epub. You may have to scroll down for finding the spot. You may find there another app. You have to replace the app by the edge. As it should be the default app to open epub files on windows 10.
- Finally, you have to click Microsoft edge.
This edge will help you to open epub files by just double-clicking on the files. When you will open epub files, it will be launched by the edge.
There are many methods to open such kinds of files. You have to select your method for solving this problem. It is because these .jar/.apk/.exe/.epub files can be an error in opening for different reasons. It depends on the settings of your computers and opening these files always demands the updated version of your computer. These various methods help you to develop apps by accessing .jar files. You have learned a lot about opening different types of file formats. Did you know that the DMG file can also be opened in Windows?