Stress tests of GPU or any other computer parts are important for identifying the performance. We can know the breaking point and stable point of a PC by going through this test. By this, we can maintain our work on the PC. Both software and hardware can be gone through the stress test. After doing the test, we can avoid doing hamper to our PC. But there are some risks to doing this. We should do the test safely by applying the accurate method. So, How to stress test GPU? Read through this.
What is a Stress Test?
A stress test is a form of test which is done in a computer’s hardware and software to determine the stability of any computer system and also its infrastructure. It is also called torture testing. It is done by going beyond the capacity of the system and also many things are done beyond its breaking point. Also, the test can identify the accurate breaking points and how the system actually fails. It can confirm that the specifications of the system can be met. By doing this, you can be sure which hardware of your computer should be changed or not.
Stress Test of GPU
GPU is one of the most important parts of a computer. The full form of GPU is Graphics Processing Unit. They are generally used for gaming and other graphical works. A Graphics card is an electric circuit device that manipulates and alters the images to view continuous video images in your display. They are usually embedded in the motherboard. The modern high-quality GPU can provide you high quality in your display window.
The money nowadays spent on graphics cards is much because dedicated graphics cards are very much powerful than integrated graphics cards. As it improves the video or gaming quality, most people use expensive GPU. If you face any problem during gaming, the stress test can identify the problem. So it is important to know the actual specifications, stability, and breaking point of GPU. For this, you should go through the stress test of the GPU. If you want to buy the best laptop for graphic design, check this.
GPU stress is done by maximizing the temperature and going to the cornering limit of electric usage. It is somehow similar to overclocking your PC’s CPU, or RAM. The test is done by going to the breaking point of GPU. The test runs the GPU until it gives up and reaches the limit.
You can also stress test in your old GPU. Sometimes, you may face some problems during gaming or other tasks due to the problems in GPU: can cause because graphics driver issue, cable connectors, or the display monitor. The test can identify the problem. It will provide you information about its stability. After this, you can use it more carefully.
As stress test turns the GPU to its last limit, sometimes it is dangerous. It can be harmful to your GPU if you do not know when to stop. For this, you have to always monitor the stress test to see the condition. You can stop whenever it is needed. So, we suggest you know the difference between dedicated and integrated graphics cards before proceeding further.
You need to monitor the system during the test. The GPU overclocking application can monitor your GPU continuously. In this, you need to monitor two things.
- GPU temperature
- GPU usage
During the test, the temperature can be increasing about 100 degrees Celsius and GPU usage can be hit to 100 percent. You have to monitor it and take the necessary steps to avoid any problem.
Tools to Stress Test GPU
There are some tools that are used to stress test GPU. They are described below.
FURMARK is one of the best tools which can stress test your GPU. It can only be used in Windows PC.
This tool uses fur-rendering algorithms. It helps to measure the performance of graphics cards. It also measures the stability of overclocking.
The tool can identify all the errors of your GPU effectively. It can push the machine at the highest without doing any harm to GPU or PC. It is a very user-friendly tool.
2. GPUMEM TEST
This GPUMEM TEST tool is used generally for stress testing Nvidia graphics cards. In this card, it can measure accurate errors.
4. UNIGINE Super position
5. UNIGINE Heaven
UNIGINE Heaven is more advanced than Super position. It is very pretty to look at. This benchmarking tool is really better than most of the tools.
Method to Stress Test GPU
For avoiding all the damages like damaging the motherboard or CPU, you should follow the given steps carefully. The steps are
- First, you need to set up the overclock choice. If you do not want to overclock, skip the part. You can check how to overclock the CPU.
- Before stress testing, you have to close all the applications that are running on the PC or running in the background. You have to close all the media apps immediately. The apps can affect your stress test result. Also, your system may be crashed because of it.
- You have to open the stress test application which is installed on your PC. Then start the operation. Your GPU usage will hit up to 100 percent and temperature will be increased at the highest point.
- Then you have to run the test for 30 minutes. If your PC has a cooling or overclocking problem, your PC test cannot be run after 30 minutes. If your PC passes the 30 minutes test, it should be cleared from all the media assumptions. After the failure of the test, you should turn off the clock, turn up the fan.
- In the 2nd test, you will be testing the game scenario of GPU. You have to run the test for one hour at this stage. If your PC completes the test without any problem, then it should be cleared for any gaming scenario. Your PC monitor will play a vital role just in terms of viewing during the test.
- The last stage of the test is the guaranteed stability test. In this, the test will be run for a long time. If the PC passes the test without creating any damage, your GPU should be cleared from almost anything.
You should work on your PC according to the stability of its hardware and software. The breaking point helps you to well aware of its weakness. The stress test of the GPU can confirm the specifications and performance of the GPU. Applying the accurate process, you can stress test your GPU without damaging the system. You can check VRAM, increase VRAM, and how you can increase virtual memory. After reading the whole article, now we hope that you know all about how to stress test GPU. To get a better idea about different types of monitors, we suggest you read this article named CRT vs LCD monior.