If your computer is running slow, or you are just curious if you need a storage upgrade, testing the disk speed is a good way to find it out. Your disk speed directly impacts your system performance and often it is more important to upgrade the disk than the RAM.
So, how to test disk speed? You can do it using the command prompt or any other third-party app. Let’s begin.
How to Test Disk Speed on Windows 10
On Windows 10, you can easily test the speed of the disk. Sometimes it is very important to check the speed of the hard disk drive to ensure that the disk is working as advertised. There is some software for checking the speed of the disk, but the most popular software is CrystalDiskMark. The methods of the disk speed test in Windows 10 with this software are given below:
- First, you have to download the CrystalDiskMark on your windows 10.
- Then, you have to install this by clicking the install button.
- After installing it, you have to search for CrystalDiskMark for the search engine and open the app.
- You have to select the number of runs by using the first drop-down menu on the left. For a more accurate result, you have to decrease the selection of the default number.
- Then, you have to select the file size that the app will use from the second drop=down menu to benchmark the disk.
- From the third drop=down menu, you have to select a disk that you want to test.
- Finally, click the All button.
When you click the “All button” option, it will automatically run the available tests. It includes sequential read and writes tests and three different 4KiB random tests. You can click the “green button” to test a single test.
After completing the steps, the tool will run on the disk for a few minutes, and then you can see the result in megabytes/seconds. That is how you can do disk speed test for windows.
Testing Disk Speed Using the Command Prompt
You can easily test the speed of the disk on Windows 8. It takes very simple steps to check the speed of the disk. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to open the command prompt on the below of the lest corner of your computer.
- Then, you have to click start.
- In the search box, you have to type “cmd”.
- You have to right-click on the “cmd” and run as administrator.
- In the command prompt window, you have to type winset disk -drive d.
Here, d is the disk that you want to test.
By following these steps, you can easily test the speed of any disk on windows 8.
[aawp box=”B07H2RR55Q” description=”none” template=”horizontal”]
How to Test Disk Speed on Mac
Mac is one of the fastest devices we use every day. But if you want to test the speed of your mac computer, there are available some tools and methods for this purpose. The steps are very easy and fast. So, how to check disk speed in MAC? The method of testing the speed of your mac is given below:
- First, you have to connect the external drive to your mac. The external drive can be USB, Thunderbolt, or firmware, etc. You can format your mac to be Mac compatible for the best result.
- Then, you have to download the DiskSpeedTest from the mac play store and after downloading it, you have to launch the app properly.
- Once you get the app, you have to click the gear button in the middle and then you have to choose Select target Drive. You can also do the work bu pulling down the File menu and choose the same option and select the external drive to test.
- You have to choose Start to begin the running test and you have to let it run for a few minutes.
- After that, the result will be shown up of the disk speed test on the right side under the section “How fast” and it will also show the speed of reading and writing of the particular disk.
Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
How do I check my HDD speed and health?
Open the command prompt in Windows as administrator. There, type Chkdsk. Wait for check disk to finish checking, afterwards, it’ll give you a detailed report about your disk’s speed and health.
What is normal speed of HDD?
For HDDs, the normal read / write speed is 80-160 MB/s. SSDs on the other hand, can go as high as 600 MB/s or more.
As we can see, testing the speed of a disk is very necessary. The tools available for checking the speed of a disk also provide some additional features. These speed measuring tools are very efficient and easy to use. You can also test the speed of your disk by some manual methods. So, do you still have any questions on how to test hard drive speed? If any, feel free to comment.