Do you need to stop Cortana? Hey, Cortana is an awesome feature, right? But it is somehow irritating if it stops working. It is helpful in many cases like searching anything over voice command. But when it interferes with a matter you don’t need, then it is disgusting. You can turn off Cortana easily. In this article, I will show you how to turn off Cortana in some easy manners and I will suggest to you which method is easiest for you. Let me show you.
Why You Should Turn off Cortana?
- Many users complained Cortana is using more space than it should use and PC’s performance is getting slower. In Task Manager, if you sort the processes by memory, you can see Cortana is using the memory in your RAM is not ignorable at all.
- Yes, Cortana helps you in many ways. But it wants access to your email, calendar, notes, and many more personal things. Many users find it a Lil bit risky.
- Moreover, it bothers you sometimes when you don’t need her at all!
But you cannot deny its awesome services like search over voice command, set reminder, and more kinds of stuff like these. But if you are not happy with its services, then it’s time to turn her off. Let’s go!
Method-1: From Cortana’s Settings
I think this is the simplest way to stop Cortana. There is an option in Cortana’s settings to disable her. Just follow my steps.
- At first open Cortana from the search bar.
- Go to the settings option and turn the first option off. See the below image for more clarification. Once you turn it off, you are done!
Method-2: From Settings
This is another straightforward way to stop Cortana. Let me show you the process.
- At first search ‘Settings’ in your search bar and open it.
- Go to Privacy→ Speech→ inking & typing.
- Now click on the option ‘Stop getting to know me’. You are done!
- Using Registry editor
Method-3: Using Registry Editor
You can turn off Cortana by using the registry editor. But you have to be careful when you are using the registry editor.
- At first, you have to open the run prompt. Press (windows+R) key. Type Regedit and click OK. Now you will see the registry editor.
- Or you can search Regedit in your PC’s search bar and click on it. Now you will see the registry editor.
While you are trying to open it, it can ask for your confirmation to make changes to your computer. If you are seeing something likewise, then allow it.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
- But you don’t see any folder named Windows Search, then you have to create it manually. Follow me if you cannot find the Windows Search folder. If you can, then skip this below part and go to step 3.
- Right-click on the Windows folder and then go to New→ Key
- Name it Windows Search
- Now you can find the newly created Windows Search folder in the left panel, Right-click on it and go to New → DWORD (32-bit Value).
- Now make the value name AllowCortana make the value 0. See the below image and act likewise if you don’t get it clearly.
- Now restart your computer or log out from your computer. You are done. Now you can see a normal search bar without Cortana!
Which Method Should You Select to Turn off Cortana?
- Method 1 and method 2 are so simple. If you are a new Windows 10 user and you are not a computer expert, then you should follow method 1 or method 2 to turn off Cortana. If you follow the steps properly, there are no risks at all and you will get things done smoothly.
- Here comes method 3. It is not that much easy as the other two methods. If you want to follow method 3 to get Cortana turned off, then you must have to be aware of some matters.
- In method 3, we have to use the registry editor to make Cortana turned off. The problem is if you make things a little bit messed up, then your computer will crash and the full process will fail.
- As there is a possibility to crush your computer, you must have to back up your whole computer before approaching.
- You must have to follow the steps strictly or things will be messed up. If you are not a computer expert you must have to follow method 1 or 2.
Can You Disable Cortana Fully?
Removing Cortana is not like uninstalling other windows 10 apps. We have seen how to turn off Cortana from the menu bar. But if you check in the taskbar, you can see that Cortana is running in the background. You can kill it then, but some moments later, it will again appear in the taskbar. But you can remove it from the taskbar. Microsoft has made it impossible to remove Cortana from windows fully though you can hide it from the search or menu bar and make it stopped to bother you anymore. Just follow my above-mentioned methods to turn it off.
If you have gone through my full article, then you should have no more questions about turning off Cortana. There are several ways to do it. Just find which one is better for you. If you are a new user and you don’t have any idea about tech stuff, then just follow method 1 to get things done. One more thing, if you follow method 3 to turn Cortana off, then you can turn it on just by make the value 1 in step 4. But it’s time to turn her off. Go stop her now!