MMC is a tool of Microsoft Windows. This host tool can manage almost all the networks, connections. So this is an important administrative tool for smoothly processing all the applications and networks of windows. This console helps Windows to ensure all the hardware and software work correctly. To improve the experience in operating Windows and gain knowledge the information about MMC in Windows is necessary. So, What is MMC in Windows? You have come to the right place to learn about this.
What is MMC?
MMC means Microsoft Management Console. This console is a host that controls or manages hardware, software, and all the connections or network of Windows. It helps the operating system process. It does not directly control the applications but it hosts the components which are called snap-ins. This console is one of the components of Windows 2000. This feature is also used in other operating systems of Windows such as Windows 95, Windows NT, and Windows 98.
What is Console?
The console can be called a computer terminal. A computer has various consoles. It generally controls the computer. Also, we can say that console is a terminal in which users can input their commands to the device and consoles output for those commands. The console can be formed as hardware or software. MMC is a type of console that can work under its specific commands. You may confuse with the terms console and Terminal.
How many ways to use MMC?
There are two ways you can use MMC. They are
- Author mode
- User mode
Author mode is the mode of MMC in which users can create consoles. You can change the consoles according to your preference.
In the User model of MMC, the applications and network of computers can be controlled such as controlling network mode: public or private, etc with the help of the console which is existed previously in PC.
The Meaning of MMC
MMC is also known as the host of tools. Microsoft Management Console or MMC is a kind of structure that can connect both the administrators and device users for various purposes of the system such as administration, management, and also configuration. We can use it for operations of management for our device. MMC does it work with the help of GUI. GUI is like any browser or explorer of a device. Basically, MMC does not actually do anything directly but works as a host for all of these.
Location of MMC
Tools of MMC
MMC basically contains various management tools. From them, some are called snap-in. Altogether snap-in is a software module that is used in MMC. This console works as a common interface for the device. Some snap-in is the Device Manager, Internet Information Services (IIS), Disk Defragmenter, Disk Management, and Local Users. These tools are best for use as configuration and monitoring systems.
Other than snap-in you can add more folder to the MMC. They are
- The folder that can link to the Web pages and other folders.
- The folder that has ActiveX controls.
- The folder that can link to the various views, Windows Task Manager, and tasks.
How to open MMC in PC?
You have to make sure your PC has MMC. If it has an exciting MMC, you can follow the following steps to open it. The steps are
- At first, you have to click on the Start Button which is on the display of the PC on the bottom left corner from the menu of Programs menu.
- Another way is you can also find MMC from Control Panel which in the folder named Administrative Tools.
- You have to click on ‘Windows key + R’.
- Then a box will appear. You have to type MMC and then you have to select Enter option.
That’s how you can open this Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
Formation of MMC
MMC is divided into the two sections. They are left and right pane.
- The left pane has two tabs. They are called Tree and Favorites
- The tree tab is known as Console. It can provide the items of the console which are available.
- The favorites tab has a folder that you detect as the favorites in MMC.
- The right pane is known as the details pane. You can find all the details of the functions of the command of the console. You can find various kinds of information in this.
- Each window of MMC has a command menu bar. In this, you can create a new console icon when you need it.
- MMC window has a status bar at the bottom and a bar of description.
- Each MMC window can display a command toolbar. There are also drop-down menus but the main MMC window doesn’t have both of them.
MMC or Microsoft Management Console is one of the useful software modules for operating command. Though it does not work directly it works as a host as the interface between the administration and user. The tools they work with under MMC are important for the system. So it is necessary to know about the work of MMC in Windows. After following through with this article, we now hope that you know a lot about What is MMC in Windows and the functionalities of it.