Did you know that the text you write every day on your computer, mobile or Facebook has its corresponding binary number? Yes. It has. Every digital device knows nothing but binary that contains only a sequence of 0s and 1s. So, when you write anything on the computer or mobile or any other devices, every character you write is converted into binary. So, if you want to know how to convert binary to text and vice versa, read the whole article.
What is Binary Number
The binary number is the base of the Digital system. In mathematics and digital electronics, the Binary number is a number system like Decimal, Octal, and Hexadecimal. This number system is a positional number system and its base is 2. This number system uses only 0 and 1. Each digit is referred to as a bit. This number system is implemented is digital circuitry because of its straightforward implementation. The binary system is used by all computers and computer-based devices.
What is Text
A text is literally any object which can be read. You are reading this article. These letters you are seeing are texts. You write a message to others are texts. The text is generally a sequence of characters (Ex: A, a, B, b ….. 0, 1, 2…. @, #,$….. Even a white space is a character). Each character has a corresponding ASCII value in the ASCII chart. Actually, each character in a text is represented by software by evaluating its corresponding binary number. Because Digital devices don’t know anything except the binary number.
How to Convert Binary to Text version
Suppose you are given Binary digits and you want to know its corresponding text version. Then you can follow several methods to do that. In this article, we will follow two methods.
Method 1: By using Binary to Decimal conversion
- You are given a binary number which is a sequence of bits (0 or 1). Now follow the steps to converts the binary number to text.
- Start grouping the binary number where each group having 8 bits. Start From the start to group the binary string. When you reach the end, if the last group doesn’t have 8 bits, fill the group by adding 0s.
- Convert each group of the binary number that contains 8 bits to its corresponding decimal value. These decimal values are the ASCII values of the characters.
- Check the ASCII chart and convert each decimal value to its respective character.
By converting each group of a binary number to its respective character, you now have a text version of the binary number.
Method 2: By using Binary – Hexadecimal conversion
Hexadecimal is a number system that has a base of 16: 0 to 9 and A to F.
You are given a binary number which is a sequence of bits (0 or 1). Now follow the steps to converts the binary number to text.
- Start grouping the binary number where each group having 4 bits. Start From the start to group the binary string. When you reach the end, if the last group doesn’t have 4 bits, fill the group by adding 0s. Suppose you are given a binary number 00111101. Then split the number like this: 0011 1101.
- Convert each group into a single hex digit. That means 0011 1101 will be 3D hex.
- Start pairing the hex number. Start At the end to pair the hex number. When you reach the start, if the last pair doesn’t have 2 hex numbers, fill the pair by adding 0 as a prefix. Two pairs combine a character.
- ‘A’ = 41 hex, ‘a’ = 61 hex. So, you have to subtract 40 hex for uppercase letters and 60 hex for lowercase letters.
For example: 0100 1010B = 4A hex. So, 4A hex – 40 hex = 10 decimal = 10th alphabet = ‘J’.
0110 1001B= 69 hex. So, 69 hex – 60 hex = 9 decimal = 9th alphabet = ‘i’.
By doing the same thing for the full binary number, you will get your text.
How to Convert Text to Binary
You may have a Text that needs to be converted into a binary number. To do that follow the steps
- Start with the first character. Take the character and convert it to a decimal value. The decimal value is the ASCII value for the character.
- Convert the decimal value to its equivalent binary value.
- The binary value must contain 8 binary digits. If the binary value doesn’t contain 8 digits, then put additional 0s at the beginning to make it 8 bits long. For example, if the binary is 00110, then make it as 00000110.
- Continue the same process to find the binary value of all the characters in the text.
By doing this, you will get your binary number for the text.
Binary to Text version online Converter
There are many binary to text online converters. To find the text from binary number, go to the following link: https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/binary-to-ascii.html.
- Put your Binary number in the first box.
- Click on convert.
- You will find the text corresponding to the binary number you entered.
Text to Binary online Converter
To find the binary number of your text, go to the following link: https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/ascii-to-binary.html.
- Put your text in the first box.
- Click on convert.
- You will find the binary number corresponding to your text you entered.
Every Digital device knows nothing but binary numbers. Everything you write on any digital device is recognized by the device by its corresponding binary value. You may find it interesting to know about the corresponding binary value of your text or vice versa. This article has given all the necessary information about this conversion. If you have read through the whole article, now you know how to convert binary to text and text to binary.