When gaming on a laptop, especially on a budget one, every FPS counts. Because let’s face it, gaming on a laptop with low configuration sucks.
So, if you are wondering, how to increase FPS on a laptop, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll explain how you can get the maximum possible FPS from your aging laptop. Let’s start.
Table of Contents
- An Overview of FPS (Frame Per Second)
- How to Increase Fps on a Laptop
- Frequently Asked Questions
An Overview of FPS (Frame Per Second)
While playing an online or offline game, the game is displayed on your device screen, and they consist of a fast sequence of images, and the fast sequence makes it much like videos. Those fast-sequenced images are called frames, and frames are created by the video card. The video card receives the data information from the games program and converts those data information into a frame.
Frame rate or frame per second is simply known as fps. Fps indicates the number of frames displayed by your computer display in one second. While videos run at about 24 fps which means low fps, the game running at this speed will look jagged, and feel very uncomfortable to play. Low fps means a low frame rate. The number of frames is low and that’s why it seems not like the video. This situation is simply known as ‘motion blur’. When filming something at 24 fps, a camera will take 24 pictures per second, but the lens of the camera will stand open long enough while taking each picture that any moving objects will slightly blur. And this incident helps the objects appear to place smoothly into the next frame. On the other hand, a video game will display objects where they are, without motion blur. That’s why it may look like jumping from one frame to the next.
The standard for a good fps number is generally said to be 60 fps. This is called not only for the high number or the high frame rate or at this frame rate games running smoothly but also because standard monitors usually run at 60hz. Hertz or Hz is the refresh rate of a monitor. It means how many times the images of the monitor can display in a second. The fps depend on Hz. For example, the game that runs at 90 fps will only be able to display 60 fps on a 60hz based monitor. Nowadays many special gaming monitors come out to market having 120hz or 144hz.
How to Increase Fps on a Laptop
The frame rate indicates the number at which an imaging device produces identical consecutive images called frames, and that’s being expressed as frame per second or fps. Those frames are created by a graphics card (also called a video card). The video card collects image data information and processes them, and finally made like a video.
There are many ways to increase fps on the laptop. You can increase FPS in gaming to improve gaming performance using the registry. If you want to increase your laptop’s graphical performance by increasing fps, please refer to the following steps:
Update your driver
- By pressing windows key + r, you can open the run window.
- Please type dxdiag in the open option and hit the enter button.
- The DirectX diagnostic tool windows prompt will come. From the top row options, please select the display tab.
- Note the name and manufacturer of your card.
Many companies manufacture graphics cards. You may find Nvidia, ATI, Intel, or others.
- Nvidia video card:
- First of all, you should go to NVidia’s website.
- From the service list, select the product, product type, product series, product, operating system, and language.
- Press search to find your selected product.
- If you find your desire product, press download.
- When the driver is downloaded, please run the .exe file. If you have any prompts, and a warning message, please click on the allow option.
- Please follow the setup process.
- If your setup process complete, restart your laptop.
- ATI video card:
- You should visit the ATI website.
- From the product service, select the type of system, product family, product, product series, product, and the operating system.
- After selecting all this, please click on the display results option.
- While the results come, press download.
- When your file is downloaded, you should run the file on your laptop.
- Follow the setup process.
- Restart your computer.
- Intel video card: (version 1)
- First, visit the intel’s website.
- Click on check your system for updates and follow the guiding process.
- If you need any helping assistance, you can seek support from intel. Intel’s utility page includes a troubleshoot installation function and a support section to assist you.
- For version 2 of intel’s video card – you should go to intel’s website to download their service. You should go to the download page to find the product. You can find products by selecting the product category, product family, product lie, and name.
The driver helps you to communicate with your hardware resources. To have the best results from your video card, you have to update your driver with the latest bug fixes, and optimization, and of course download from the manufacturer’s original website.
Adjust the performance
For the best performance setup, you should refer to the following steps:
- First of all, you should go to the control panel.
- Click on the system and security option. A new window prompt will come. From the options list, please click on the System option.
- From the top left corner, you should click on advanced system settings.
- The system properties window will come. From the new window, select the advanced tab. In the performance section, you need to click on the settings button.
- The performance options window will come which contains the settings option for the appearance and performance of windows on your computer. Make sure that you are on the visual effects tab. From the settings list, you need to check to adjust for best performance.
- Again, from the control panel, you need to go on power options.
- Please select the high performance/ ultimate performance power plan.
Turn on the game mode
- Go to the settings page.
- From the settings window, you need to click on gaming.
- From the left corner of the window prompt, select the game mode option.
- Make sure you turn on the game mode.
Lower your resolution
By reducing the display resolution, you can increase the fps on your laptop. Increasing the fps rate depends on your laptop’s hardware. Also, you should keep in mind that, this is not a universal solution recipe. But you can test it to see if it works on your case or not.
Lowering resolution will help to speed up your gameplay. But the best solution is to adjust the resolution using the game’s graphics settings.
Configure FreeSync / g-sync
FreeSync and g-sync are the kinds of technology used to dynamically adjust your monitor’s refresh rate to match the fps. Those have the same kind of technology and functionality. The main difference between them is their working compatibility. Freesync is an open-source standard developed by AMD. On the other site, g-sync was developed by Nvidia. But recently, Nvidia has started allowing variable refresh rates on selected free sync monitors.
If your laptop monitor supports a variable refresh rate (VRR), make sure it is turned on from the monitor’s OSD. Especially you should aware not to be confused with v-sync. V-sync is a software feature that limits your fps to your monitor’s refresh rate.
Overclock your computer
If you are an afire gamer and you know much about your gaming things, you may want to overclock your laptop. By overclocking your computer, you can see the action boosts of your fps rate. If you are a casual gamer, then you should not overclock your computer. Because overclocking your computer may cause an overtreating issue. To prevent the heating issue, you can install cooling software and a cooling pad.
Install razer cortex
The Razer cortex is a game booster. It’s free and it optimizes your computer for gaming. Razer cortex’s tools improve your laptop’s performance by killing and managing the unused app or processes you don’t need while gaming. Games can access and use computer ram and process resources, resulting in high fps and smooth gaming performance.
Razer cortex has a built-in fps counter that will show you the exact fps count that your computer is pumping out and offer you real-time feedback. Using the razer cortex is very simple, it’s user-friendly software. The tools automatically start to kill and manage your apps when you hit the play button. When you close your gaming session, the software auto restores your all-app situation and your computer to the state that it was before.
Close all background apps, processes, and resources consuming programs
To increase fps on a laptop during playing games, it’s a good habit to close all background ruing programs. Background running programs makes pressure on the processor unit and ram. Heavy programs like Netflix, Facebook, YouTube, torrent, or any other programs suck a lot of internet even in the background and may affect the computer’s fps during gaming.
Background applications and programs consume a lot of resources and you should not run them at this moment. To close all background applications and programs, you may refer to the following steps:
- At first, you should go to the task manager. To simply find it, you can search by the writing of the task manager on the search bar.
- The task manager window will come. And make sure that you are on the processes tab.
- From the processes tab, you can easily close any processes you want.
Even you can uninstall software that you don’t need or don’t use anymore. To uninstall software, please refer to the following steps:
- You need to go to the control panel.
- Click on programs.
- You should select the uninstall a program or programs and features option.
- Look at the software list and find out your unwanted software.
- Click on uninstall.
Scan for malware
Malware is harmful to your computer. It hampers the computer performance. The malware installs on your computer without your permission. Its purpose is to steal data and even damage your system. Malware decreases your computer’s fps. You can find many malware removal programs on the internet to increase fps on a laptop.
Check your disk for errors
To check your disk, please refer to the following steps:
- At first, you should open the command prompt as an administrator.
- You should type the chkdsk c: /f command and press the enter key.
- Replace c with the letter of your hard drive partition.
- If you do not use the /f parameter on your command line, a message will display that the file needs to be fixed; but it does not fix any errors.
- To repair logical issues affected by your dive, you should type chkdsk c: /f command and run it by pressing on the enter key.
- To repair physical issues, you should run the /r parameter.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I force my FPS to increase?
To force increase your FPS, tone down the graphics settings of the game and lower your laptop’s display resolution.
Does RAM increase FPS?
Yes, increasing RAM can increase FPS, but only if your system was suffering from low RAM.
Does CPU affect FPS?
Yes, CPU affects FPS. in fact, the more cores your CPU has, the better FPS it should help you achieve.
It’s important to increase fps on a laptop to have the best performance in gaming. Frame per second (fps) indicates the number of frames displayed in one second. Due to low fps, games will look jagged and even sometimes become unplayable. On the other side, high fps helps to have a smooth gaming experience, it helps to look like the video by increasing the frame rate.