There are several troubleshooting techniques to see whether any server is alive or not. Pinging port is one of the methods which are used to check the server. This is one of the easiest methods to check. Ping is very popular among the system administrations. So, why waiting? Want to know how to ping a port? Get along with us.
What is Ping?
Ping is a signal which can be requested by a computer to a host. It is sent to receive a response from the host. The objective of the signal is to know if the host server is alive or not. Also, we can measure the length of the time of the response that the host takes. It is generally a program or software. This signal is usually in the form of a command which is also known as ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol). It is only sent to a particular interface.
The ping can measure the response time which can be useful for the signal sender. The response time of ping is measured in milliseconds. It is very important to measure response time. The lengthy time can add more overhead for any response on the internet from a PC. For example, online meetings or gaming has to be quick because they are happened in real-time. Ping can measure the time and thus we can know the problem in any interface. You can decrease ping using some methods.
A pinging port is used to send signals to a particular port. The pinging port gets you to connect with the server for its response. It can be also related to your webpage, database, or any proxy you can connect. Do you know There are some methods of pinging port to know about the condition of the server. For knowing the method we have to follow the steps.
1. Enter TCPing
TCPing is used to check the response of the TCP port. There are commands we can use from various tools to give signals. If the port is open it will show a response. If it is not connected, it will give you information after 2000 milliseconds. This works in three ways.
- At first, you have to send SYN to the host.
- Then the host server sends a reply to a SYNC-ACK.
- The host also sends ACK which is completed by connecting the server
2. Using UDP
UDP is a protocol that is used to check if the response of the signal is different than the usual. This sends a very specific form of data to receive any response.
Ping Port with Nmap
Nmap is one of the easiest ways which is used for pinging port. It is one of the tools to send TCP and UDP. It can be useful for system administration. The Nmap command is sent to the host computer’s specific port.
- You may have a Nmap on your PC. If you don’t have it, you can install it on your computer.
- Then you have to specify the host port in Nmap.
- You have to provide –sn to scan the target port.
- If you want to check the connection is open or not, you have to change from -sU to –sT.
There are also various tools for pinging port. They are
- Ping porting by using telnet.
- Ping porting by using nc.
- Ping porting by using Powershell.
- Ping porting on Terminology.
These tools are used to ping port. They provide commands to the host PC to receive any response.
Good Response Time
The response time of ping porting is measured in milliseconds. The length of time can give you information on whether the host connection is ideal or not. The different response time is suitable for different things. They are described below.
- Response time < 30 ms – It means the responsibility for the signal is very good. The time is hardly noticed. The host server is good for online gaming or any real-time services.
- 30 ms < Response time< 50 ms – This means the response time is not very good but average. So you can still use it for online games.
- 50 ms < Response time< 100 ms – The response time is quite slow. But it is not very bad. This response time cannot provide you smooth online gaming but you can use it for internet browsing.
- 100 ms < Response time< 500 ms – It means the ping of the host is slow. It can smoothly do web browsing.
- Response time > 500 ms – The ping is very much slow. The host server does delay most of your requests. It generally happens when the host and provider are very far from each other.
Ping porting is a popular troubleshooting method. This process can give you information about the host server. It can determine if the server is open or not or the host server can give you a quick response or not etc. Not responding to the port can give you several reasons for the problems of the host. You can determine them and then work afterward. Those tools can help you pinging port. Now you know how to ping a port and other whereabouts, right?