Nowadays our PC is filled with so many files. We keep many of our important files on the PC. But some files we don’t keep them. They are already there on our PC. Sometimes we are curious about these files and want to open and read them. We want to know what is inside that dat file are one of the kinds of files that we find on our PC. Anyone can be interested to know about these files and how to open them. To know about different file extensions of Windows, click here.
Definition of Dat Files
‘dat files’ are also known as Data Files. Data files are a kind of file that can store data of inputs and output in PC. dat file is a computer or generic file which is created for an application. It can be used for any input or output data. The codes can be executed from data files. Also, we can find instructions in data files.
Types of Dat Files
There are two kinds of dat or data files we can find in our PC. They are
- Text files
- Binary files
Text files are the type of data files that we can read. These files contain readable ASCII characters. You can easily know about the contents of these data files. You can edit it according to your need with the help of a text editor. Sometimes the files are named as .txt.
Binary files are another kind of data file. It also contains information. These are in binary code. The computer can access these types of files easily. It is easier to read for the device.
How to Open Data Files
There are some ways in that we can open and read the data file. The methods are described below.
- By using a text editor
You can open a data file easily with the text editor. The method is described below.’
- At first, you have to right-click on the file you have to open.
- A drop-down menu will appear. You have to select ‘Open with’ from them.
- Then you can select any of the editors. It can be according to your choice. You have to click ‘OK’.
- If the file you opened is a text file then you can easily read it.
- But the file can be in binary. It will show NULL on all of the screens. You cannot read them.
- Opening webmail.dat files
They are mainly email attached files. The method of opening and reading these files are described below.
- After getting the file you have to download it on your PC.
- Then you can go to Winmaildat.com.
- You have to ‘Choose a file’ option.
- You have to select the file you need to open.
- Then you can click on ‘Open’.
- After uploading the file on the website, you have to select ‘Start’.
- A page will be opened with the files. You can download and open it.
- Binary Files
The binary files are not meant to be opened or read. They are used for generally processing an application or software.
Data files are found on the computer. They are necessary files for your device. By opening and reading them, you can be able to read them what is in dat file and why they are used for. But other non-readable files are not meant to read for the users.