Data or Information is one of the assets of people. The security of information is one of the main concerns of people. There are various ways to ensure the security of data or important information. Encoding and encryption are two of the popular ways to turn the information. But they are not the same things. Many people confuse between them and consider them as the same things. Encoding VS Encryption? We will discuss this in this article.
What is Encoding?
Encoding is one of the most well-known words in communication. It turns the actual messages into coded bits. It used an encoder to do this. The message is gone through an encoder which is a combined circuit that turns real data signals into another coded data. It uses logic gates in the circuit to do this. People use a decoder to get the actual information. You can learn more about encoding and decoding here. Also, there is another popular technique which different from encoding, Transcoding.
What is Encryption?
Encryption data is also called ciphertext. Encryption is mainly used for security purposes in communication. This process turns the real information or messages into random data. For this only sender or receiver or you can say the client or server can understand the real information. Generally, a cryptographic key is used to convert these data. Both sender and receiver need this key. Your pdf files or other files like excel files, USB flash drives, zip file. etc can also be encrypted and decrypted too.
The Similarities Between Encoding and Encryption
There are some similarities between both ways. They are given below:
- Both encoding and encryption are used for security purposes.
- In both ways, real information is turned into a random thing.
- The right device or key can convert the random data into real data.
- Both encoding and decoding use logical ways to convert real data.
The Differences between Encoding and Encryption
The differences between encoding and encryption are described below.
- Secret Key: Encryption needs a secret key. But Encoding does not need a secret thing.
- Difficulty: Some people can decode encoded messages without a decoder. But without the exact key, you cannot encrypt the message.
- Secure: Encryption is more secured than encoding.
- Usability: A decoder is an encoder that is publicly available. Anyone can use it. But the secret key of an encrypted message is only available to its sender and receiver.
Both encryption and encoding are important terms of data security. They both manipulate the information in their own ways. It is difficult for anyone to break down the security. Though cyber-crime or cyber-attacks like Phishing attacks, ransomware attacks, etc are very common, these cybercriminals cannot easily get important information. People can use any of them according to their requirements. After all this, we can only say that as the encryption or data security technology is improving, hackers are getting smarter day by day too. So, you should always up to date on the security of your personal data and organization too. Now we hope, you know about Encoding VS Encryption and all their whereabouts.