You install many software days by day. The more software installed on your computer, the longer it takes to start up windows. Many software adds themselves to the windows startup programs list. That means, the more the programs in the startup program list, the PC will need more time to boot up and need more time to get ready for your use after booting up.
So, you should not let the program be listed on the windows startup program unless you need them to be started on startup. But how to disable startup Programs? Follow this article. At the end, you will know everything you need to know about windows startup programs and their functionalities.
What is Startup Program?
If you are a windows user, then you probably know that. After booting up, you see much software automatically start loading without your concern. If you have any anti-virus installed on your PC, then you see that after booting up your PC, the anti-virus programs automatically start themselves. Some software like any third-party keyboard software, Skype, U-torrent adds themselves to the windows startup programs list.
Why Should I Disable Startup Programs
It is annoying if the PC takes a longer time to boot up and be ready to use after booting up. It is because many software automatically adds themselves to the windows startup program list. The software in the startup program list starts themselves automatically after Windows boot up. So, it is easy to understand that if the startup program list is long, your PC will need longer time to get ready for your use after you turn on your PC.
So, it is good to disable the unnecessary programs to get started on the startup unless you need them to be started on the windows startup.
Which Programs should be Disabled
Though it is annoying if the PC takes a longer time to be ready to use because of the startup programs and you want to disable the startup programs not to start automatically, you should not disable all the programs from the startup program list. Anti-virus programs, Windows Defender program start automatically after booting up the PC. But you shouldn’t disable these programs from starting up automatically because of security concern.
The programs like various updater programs, social media programs should be disabled because they will be needed when you need them to start. So, pay good attention when you disable programs from starting up automatically because you may disable anti-virus like programs.
How to Disable Startup Programs
Some methods to disable startup programs are given below:
Method-1: Directly Configuring a Program
If you notice that a program automatically starts and you don’t want that, then it is a good procedure to disable that program from being started automatically.
- First, open the program.
- Find the settings panel or a menu labeled as settings, preferences, options. Many times, you may find these under a menu named tools.
- Find the option of starting up on startup. Disable it or uncheck it. The option may vary, but it should be easy to find the option.
When you will restart your PC, you will see that the program will no longer start automatically unless you open it manually. You can enable the program to startup automatically.
Method-2: Using Task Manager(For Windows 8 or Later)
If you are windows 8 or 10 user, then you can disable startup programs from task manager.
To do that:
- Go to windows menu and type “task manager”.
- The task manager application will be seen. Click on “Task Manager” to open it.
- You can do this by pressing clt+alt+delete A new page will be opened. Click on task manager. It will open the task manager.
- Select Startup menu from the toolbar. If you don’t find it, select more details to find startup menu. And select it.
- Now, select the program you want to disable from being started automatically. Then click on the disable button positioning at the right-bottom corner of the task manager. Or you can do this by right-clicking on the program and select disable.
The programs you disabled from here, will no longer start automatically when the windows boot up. You can enable them from the task manager by just click on enable. Then, restart your PC.
Method-3: Using msconfig(For Windows 7 or earlier)
Msconfig is a System configuration tool. If you are running on Windows 7 or earlier version of windows like Windows XP Vista, you can disable startup program from this tool. Msconfig can be used to configure the system. So, be careful when using this tool. If you have not much knowledge about this tool, just go through this article. Then, you should be fine.
To disable startup programs:
- Open msconfig.exe. To do this: Go to start menu and type “msconfig.exe” in the search box. When you see msconfig.exe in the results, click on msconfig.exe or press enter to open it.
- You can open msconfig.exe from the Run application too. To do this: First, press windows key + R on the keyboard. The Run application will open. Type “msconfig”(without quotes) in the text field and press enter or click on ok.
- After opening the System Configuration main window, Click on Startup from the menu bar. After that, the list of startup programs will be displayed.
- To disable a program from being started automatically during the bootup, just uncheck the program. And then, click ok.
- Then a dialog box will be shown. It will tell you to restart your computer. You can restart or exit the box without restarting your computer whether you like to restart your computer or not.
After that, the programs you just unchecked will no longer start automatically unless you open them manually.
Method-4: Using CCleaner
This is a PC-cleaning software which also has a tool that can disable startup programs.
To do that: First, download this software from this link(). There is a professional version and a free version of Ccleaner. The professional version cost $24.95 which comes with priority technical support. The choice is yours.
Install it and open it.
- Now click on the tools button from the left side of the window in the Ccleaner.
- Then click on Startup. You will see the list of startup programs.
- To disable a startup program, select the program you want to disable from being started with the windows.
- Then click on Disable button from the right side of the window.
Read this – How to Uninstall Windows 10 Apps in a Right Way
Many software adds themselves to the startup program list of the windows. But it takes too much time boot up your PC when the list is long. You probably don’t need all the programs to start automatically with windows. So, you need to prevent the programs from being started automatically. But how to disable startup programs in windows? If you have gone through the whole article, then you know the answer.