The startup programs of your device are the programs that run with the start or boot-up of the computer. These startup programs of your computer can be antivirus, chat or messaging apps, or any background apps. These apps automatically start running when the computer starts. And the programs continuously keep running on your computer. As these startup programs run in the background, it impacts the boot time of your computer and makes your computer slow. To disable startup programs might be the best thing to do.
Some of these startup programs are important, but some programs just slow your computer. Antivirus is such a startup program in a useful application on your computer and helps you to protect your devices from any virus or malware. But the other unnecessary programs that run in the startup folder should be disabled to make your computer faster.
So, if you want to disable these unrequired programs on your computer, you have to disable the programs. There are several ways to disable the startup programs, you can follow any for this.
How to Disable Startup Programs in Windows 10
There are some methods by which you can easily disable the startup programs in Windows 10. The methods are given below:
- Disable startup programs via task manager
The task manager is a common way to disable the unwanted startup programs in Windows 10. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to open the Task Manager. You have to just right-click on the taskbar in a free space of your computer screen and then a drop-down menu will appear. You have to select Taskbar from the menu.
- Once you open the Task Manager, you have to go to the Startup tab. All the startup programs which are configured on your computer will display this tab in a list. Each startup programs will be displayed with the following configurations.
- Name: Name of the program
- Publisher: Publisher of the program
- Status: Status about this startup program which is currently enabled or disabled
- Startup impact: The startup impact of the program starts the boot time on your computer. If there is a higher startup impact on your computer, it will make the computer boot slower.
- You can also visible the startup type, Disk I/O at startup, CPU at startup, Running now. For this, you have to right-click on the header row and make the additional details columns visible. You have to disable the time and command line for programs.
- You have to review the list of startup programs. From the list, you have to select the programs that you don’t want to run on the startup. You have to find the unrequired and unimportant programs which have a higher startup impact.
- Finally, you have to right-click on the program row and select Disable from the context menu. This way you can disable the startup programs. You can also select the unwanted programs to run on the startup and click on the Disable button. You may find this disable button at the right corner of the lower side of Task Manager. After disabling all the unrequired programs, you have to close the Task Manager.
- When you start your computer next time, the startup programs won’t be running and make your computer work faster.
- Disable startup programs via Run.
Another way to disable the startup programs is via Run. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to open the System Configurations. This system configuration can be opened in various ways, but in this process, we will open this tool via Run. A system configuration is a tool used for disabling the startup programs on your computer. From the Run, you have to run the following:
- Once the system configuration is opened, you have to navigate to the Startup tab, and there you will find a list of startup applications. From the list, you will see a single application named VMware Tools.
- From the startup tab, you can see the list of startup programs with the following information:
- Startup item: Name of the startup program
- Manufacturer: the name of the creator of the startup program. In this case, the name of the creator of the startup program is VMware.
- Command: name of the path of the command that will run after startup.
- Location: Name of the current startup program registry path.
- Now, you have to click the tick below to disable the startup application.
- You can also disable all the startup applications or programs on your computer. You have to click Disable all button to disable all the existing startup programs.
- Next, you have to save the configuration changes that you make. You have to click Ok and then, Apply to save the changes.
- Finally, when the save changes are completed, you will see a reboot request. There will be two options. You can either click Restart to restart your operating system immediately or you can click Exit without restart.
- Disable the startup programs in Windows (pre 10):
If your operating system is Windows (pre 10), you can disable the startup programs on it with a few steps. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to go to the Start menu. You will find it on the left corner of the lower side of the screen. You can also hit the Windows button to go to the menu.
- In the start menu, you have to type MSConfig in the search engine.
- After typing this, you have to press Enter.
- Now, you have to click the Startup tab.
- Next, you have to click the Checkbox. This is the next program or service from the list. You can see their many applications are checked. This checked means that, these programs are enabled. To disable the programs, you have to uncheck the checkbox. You can also click Disable All to disable all the startup programs at a time.
- Finally, you have to click Ok. After clicking this, the changes you make will be saved, and close the window. You can also click Apply to save the changes without closing the window.
Sometimes, programs can automatically start because of the shortcut in the startup folder. And sometimes, the program runs from the registry entry. To disable the program from the startup folder, you have to follow some methods.
- Disable startup programs via removing shortcut
If the programs of the startup run because of the shortcut. You have to remove the shortcut to disable the programs from not running. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to press a win-r. Then, you have to type the following:
- Then, you have to press Enter.
- Now, for the programs that you don’t want to run in the startup, you have to right-click on the programs and click Delete.
- Disable startup programs via Startup folder
If there is no shortcut of some programs you want to disable, then, you have to disable these programs through the Startup tasks tool in settings. The steps are given below:
- First, you have to type startup tasks in the search engine, and then, you have to press Enter.
- Now, a list of applications will appear and you have to toggle the switch Off to disable the startup programs.
When you disable the startup programs, the programs will not run in the background of your computer. Then, your computer will work faster. So, you have to select the unrequired programs and make them disable. You can disable all startup programs if you want.