Nowadays, the mobile phone is an essential device for everyone. Almost all the people now use a mobile phone to connect with the people and the world. As you carry this device with yourself, there is a lot of chance of getting it lost or stolen. The mobile phone is a personal device which you might not want to lose it or others to see your personal information on your mobile phone. But you can track your lost or stolen phone through IMEI number. But how to track lost mobile with IMEI number?
Go through this article. By the end of this article, you’ll know how to track lost phone using IMEI number.
Why do you need to track your mobile?
The mobile phone is a personal phone which you may use for various purposes. You save your important contacts, schedule of work, personal notes, photos, videos, send messages etcetera. You do not want others to see your personal information. Though you can give security to your phone by using phone lock. But there is a lot of chance of getting this lock broken. So, the best thing is to either you get your phone back or get your phone blocked. You can do both of these things using IMEI number.
What is an IMEI?
IMEI stands for “International Mobile Equipment Identity”. IMEI is a number which is unique and is used to identify mobile phones. It is generally printed on the battery compartment of the phone.
GSM network uses IMEI number to identify valid devices. So, it can be used for stopping a stolen phone from accessing that network. The device can be identified by using IMEI number. IMEI has no permanent relation to the subscriber. The subscriber is identified by the IMEI number stored on a SIM card.
Locate your phone’s IMEI number
- It is generally printed on the battery compartment of the phone (Including all phones except iPhone and some android phone).
- You can type *#06# on the dial-pad on almost every phone to see the phone’s IMEI number.
- Or you can go to your settings and find your IMEI number there.
- On iPhone, you will also find the IMEI number written on the back side of the iPhone.
- Or you can find the IMEI number on the box of the phone.
We suggest you not to bother much. Just type *#06# and see your IMEI number.
Note: If you have a phone with two SIM cards, then your phone has two IMEI numbers too. You will only need the first one. Or you can keep both the IMEI numbers to track your phone.
How This Work?
You already know that each mobile phone has an IMEI number which is unique. This IMEI number is sent to Equipment Identity Register database as soon as the mobile phone is switched on. There are three categories of phones in the database: while listed, greylisted and blacklisted.
Any mobile phone can be blocked by the service provider by putting its IMEI number on the blacklist. If the phone is blacklisted, it becomes useless. That means, it cannot be used any further. Your mobile phone’s exact location can be tracked by the operator by using its IMEI number. By following this procedure, you can find your lost or stolen a mobile phone.
Can we block the phone using IMEI number?
Yes, your lost phone can be blocked by your provider. But you have to do some work for that. If your mobile phone is lost, you have to go to the nearest police station and file an FIR that your mobile phone is stolen. Then, contact your provider with the FIR copy and give them your phone’s IMEI number and ask them to block your phone and track it. They will do the rest.
How to Track Lost Phone Using IMEI Number
IMEI number is a unique number for every mobile phone. If your mobile phone is lost, go to the nearest police station and file an FIR that your mobile phone is lost or stolen. Then, contact your provider with the FIR copy and give them your phone’s IMEI number and ask them to block your phone and track it. They will do the rest.
Almost all the phone nowadays are smartphones (either Android phone or iPhone). These phones have some special features for tracking the devices. Next sections will show you how to track lost android phone or iPhone.
How to track or block Android phone using IMEI number
If you want to track your android phone, both your mobile data and location services must be turned on. So, it is a good habit of having these two features always turned on. To do this,
- Go to your phone settings and navigate to the location services and turn on. Then, navigate to your mobile data option and turn on mobile data.
To Track Your Phone,
- go to google and search by typing “find my device”. Log in to this by using your email by which your Android phone is connected.
After doing this, google dashboard will start locating your device using your phone’s IMEI number. It will show you a map and the current location of your phone. If the phone is switched off, it will show you the location of your phone when it was last switched on.
If you have located your phone, you will see options to call, lock or erase your phone. If you are sure that your phone is stolen, you should either erase it or lock it.
How to Track or Block iPhone Using IMEI number
- If you want to track your iPhone using its IMEI number, you have to contact your wireless provider. File an FIR in the nearest police station that your iPhone is stolen or lost and make a copy of that. Just call them and say that your iPhone is lost or stolen and give them your IMEI number. After that, they will make your iPhone grey listed in the IMEI database. Then they can track your iPhone may give you the current information on your iPhone. They may want your FIR copy. If the wireless service provider refuses to locate your iPhone using the IMEI number then you have to look forward to other options.
- If the wireless provider cannot help you, you can report your IMEI number to IMEI databases. There are some IMEI databases on the internet such as IMEIDetective, GSMA IMEI Database, MissingPhones etcetera. All you can do is that submit your IMEI number to these databases. If your device is located, you will be contacted. But this is less effective.
- Another Option (except using IMEI): Apple has their own Find My iPhone feature which is much effective than tracking iPhone using IMEI number. Go to settings. Then navigate to iCloud. Scroll to the bottom and tap Find My iPhone. Then slide to turn on Find My iPhone and Send the Last Location. Make sure that your location service is active. Then you can track your iPhone from anywhere by just going to iCloud.com and click on Find iPhone. You can see you iPhone’s exact location there. You can also lock your iPhone from there.
Question 1: Can I locate my Phone using IMEI number?
Ans: Yes. You can.
Question 2: Should my phone’s location service be activated?
Ans: It’s not mandatory. But it will help finding your phone in many cases.
Question 3: My google account isn’t connected. Can I track my android phone?
Ans: Yes. You can track your android phone using IMEI. But if you want to use Google’s find my device option, your Google account must be connected to your phone.
Question 4: My iCloud account isn’t connected. Can I track my iPhone?
Ans: Yes. But if you want to track your iPhone using iCloud, then your iCloud account must be connected to your iPhone.
Question 5: Can I locate my phone if the SIM card is changed?
Ans: Yes. If you want to track your phone using IMEI, there is no need for any particular SIM card.
Question 6: Can the device be found if the phone is switched off or if the battery is down?
Ans: You cannot track the exact location. But you can track the last location of the device when the device was switched on.
Question 7: Can the device be tracked if the phone is given factory reset?
Ans: You can still track your phone using IMEI number. But you cannot use Google’s Find My Device or Apple’s Find iPhone option to track your phone.
You can lose your phone for many reasons. Your phone can be lost or stolen. There may be some important information on your device which is personal. You do not want others to have that information. So, there are two options: either you can have your phone back or you can block your phone. Using IMEI number, you can do them both. But how to track lost mobile with IMEI number? If you have gone through this article, now you surely know the answer to your question.