The zip file is a type of a compressed folder that can organize files according to its category. It is generally a folder but acts like a file which can hold several files in them. This is also known as an archive file format, like RAR or JAR files. It can compress data without losing so much space. The objective of the zip file is to organize the same type of files and compress the size of the files. In this article, we’ll discuss how to encrypt the zip file.
Microsoft first included the zip file in 1998. From then, all the Windows have built-in zip file in PC. By storing many files, the zip file also acts as a file. Sometimes you may delete some files. By using a zip file, you cannot delete them as it stores all the files. So, a zip file is very useful for file backup.
The zip file is useful for sending data online. Sometimes you have to select several files and send them over. It takes so much time. Also sometimes you accidentally forget to send one or two files. But zip file can contain all the files you wanted and also reduce the size of the file without changing anything. You just have to send the zip file and it takes so much less time to send the file over the internet.
As a zip file can contain so much data, sometimes it is used to contain important data in need of security. It is used to send data over data, so the important data can be stolen and watched by other people. So it is necessary to encrypt the zip files. The encrypted zip files cannot be opened by any other people except the specific ones. There are several methods and software to encrypt the zip files. The methods are described below.
Zip Encryption in Windows
In Windows, you can encrypt zip file in following methods.
1. Using 7-Zip
7-zip program is a free windows application. You can use it without paying anything. It is a popular application among users to encrypt the zip files. The steps to encrypt zip files are:
- Firstly, you have to select all files you want under the zip file.
- Then you have to right-click on the mouse and place it on 7-zip.
- From the drop-down menu, you have click on add to archives.
- Then you have to name you to want for the zip file.
- A box will appear on right and you have to type the password.
- And also re-enter the same password and clock OK.
Thus your zip file is encrypted. When you want to open the zip file, you need to type the password for the file.
2. Using WinRAR
WinRAR is another application to encrypt zip files. To use this, you have to download and then install the application first. This application is also free. To encrypt a zip file, you have to follow the steps:
- You have to select the files you want encrypted.
- You have to click on the right button and select WinRAR > Add to archives.
- Rename the zip file you want.
- A box will appear, in this you have to type the password and click ok.
After this, your file is password protected.
Zip Encryption in Mac
In Mac, you can also create a zip file. The encryption method of the zip file in Mac is simple as well. The free iZip application can easily encrypt the zip files. For this, you have download and install free iZip in your Mac. Then you have to follow the following steps. They are
- First you have to open the iZip and select “Create archive”.
- Then you have to click on Specify Name and type the name you want for your zip file and where you have to select the new location of the file where you keep this.
- After this, you have to select “Create”.
- If you want to save extra space, you have to enable Extra Compression.
- In the Enable protection box, you have to type the password and confirm this by re-entering the password and click on Next.
- Then you have to select an encryption method in the box which is appeared.
- The most secure is AES 256 bit. You can select it and click on Next.
- Then you have to press the plus sign and add the files you want in a zip.
- You have to click next and again next then you see a message archive is created.
Thus your encrypted zip file in Mac is created.
Zip Encryption in Android
You need an application which is BI Archiver which is free in play store. You can easily download and install it to encrypt the zip file. It can protect your zip file by using a password. To encrypt a zip file, you have to follow the following instructions
- First, you have to select all the files you want to encrypt as a zip file. You can also select a folder, subfolder.
- Then you have to tap on zipping which is on the top of the screen.
- In the box, select zip.
- And enter the password and click tick on Protect with the password.
- Then tap OK and re-enter the password for confirming the encryption of the zip file.
That’s how you can encrypt the zip file of your Android phone. You can protect from opening to anyone. To learn about encrypting Excel files, click here.
Encrypting zip files are one of the easiest processes in Windows, Mac, and Android. All the applications which are explained to use encrypting here can be downloaded free. You can try them and keep safe from anyone to open your zip file. This is great for many data security purposes.